Are you at a place in life that you didn’t think you’d be? Maybe you were happily married for years and suddenly find yourself single. Maybe you worked for the same company for a long time and recently discovered your position is being eliminated? Or possibly you have always been healthy, but shockingly diagnosed with a life-altering illness.
Life can pull the rug from under our goals, dreams and expectations in the blink of an eye. Change unexpectedly can be scary; it may feel like we have no control and cause frustration, anger or depression.
However, here are five ways to cope:
- Accept the change that is happening. The sooner we acknowledge that life has changed, the sooner we can begin to adjust.
- Decide your next move. So this happened what can I do next and what will be my attitude toward moving forward? These are very critical questions to ask yourself.
- Let go of ‘if only I had done things differently’ thinking. It is not productive to get stuck in this self- destructive thinking.
- Find support through your friends, relatives and/or spiritual family.
- Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to transition into a new way of life.